The Trading Fish…Modern Rock
Bao “Modern Rock” is an American day trader, well-respected in the trading community. Unlike many other professional traders, Bao routinely helps newer traders by calling out his trades (in real-time) on Twitter. The idea of “giving back” to the trading community for free is a strong part of his overall philosophy.
Bao graduated from U.C. Davis with a degree in Engineering and spent 8 years as a developer during the .COM days in Silicon Valley. However, Bao was more interested in trading stocks than he was programming applications. He became instantly hooked when his very first trade on Silicon Graphics (SGI) made him 30% overnight.
Bao moved to NYC around 2000 during which time he became really focused in day trading and decided to become a full time trader, trading exclusively for himself. Although Bao currently trades all types of US equity stocks, for many years his expertise was in the area of penny stocks, where he made a name for himself as “Modern_Rock”. Bao currently lives in Silicon Valley, CA and spends his time traveling and paying it forward, sharing his trading knowledge for free via THE Trading Fish @mrockrulez.
Modern rock or Bao, is not only a great trader but as stated above is a person who believes in giving back to the trading community. Modern Rock can be found in Nates room at investors underground. Here is a link to there website. Investors Underground. Moreover, I found Bao, when I first started trading and then subsequently led me to finding out about Nate and profitly and blah blah. This is not about that. What it is about, is Bao’s relentless pursuit in life to give back to the trading community while having fun doing it. He is a great trader but from what I can tell also a great person, with some of the funniest posts on twitter. I think half the people that follow him, follow him because of his insane ridiculous/hilarious tweets. However, if you are a really sensitive person because you take life way to seriously, he is probably not a good follow for you on twitter. Outside of the funniness he provides and shares a lot of wisdom and started such a cult parade, that I like to call traders against “Furu’s.” or Fake Gurus. This is his play on words, against people who call themselves “Guru’s” in the stock market. A name I personally detest. As we are always one trade away from humility. There is nothing Guru like about good traders.
Any who in my mind “Modern Rock is the karmic justice for a lot of fake traders out there, that provide a service that will never work. He has gone to such lengths of even going incognito to services under a fake name and shorted against those “Furus” who were buying and selling into innocent sheep. One indicator he had was called the TTL indicator, which was clever but also sad for those who were following such a person. Every time that chat would buy he would sell short (or bet against), them. Even sometimes telling them in the chat, that he was doing it.
Outside of his endless pursuit to help traders but also call out fakes, he is a great guy, who is very easily approachable. I’m not the only one who has been helped by Modern Rock in an indirect way. Someone actually took the time to write down his trading rules that he freely dispensed to the public in a Doctrine I like the, “The Fishy Bible Of Trading.” =) The person who wrote this was this guy.
However, I’m going to outline the rules here. So if you are a new trader looking for rules to follow, which you should have rules as you trade. Modern Rock can provide you with a great foundation, in which he outlays via twitter and his 150 trading rules. That’s right, I wrote the number 150!!! 😉 In my opinion he is a must follow on twitter and if he doesn’t at least make you laugh once, I do not know what to say. Reach out to him and/or learn from him, as he has no alternative motives then to help. He has no services and has no one pulling his strings. He wants to make America great again. J/k.
Trading Fish(Wisdom For Trading):@
150 Trading Rules By Modern Rock (Bao).
- 1) NEVER ever fight the trend (don’t be a hero) 2) Always cut your losses quickly (you can always rebuy).
- Let your winners run BUT always remember to sell on the way up in partials to lock gains which affords you to hold the rest longer!
- TradingNaziFish NEVER averages down. Why add more to the misery? BUT he LOVES to average UP, meaning he adds to a WINNING position!
- Chart support & resistance are the two MOST IMPORTANT chart indicators u will ever need to know. Anything else just used to impress other fish.
- TradingNaziFish is trendy & HATES to buy stocks that are on sale! It’s on sale cheap for a reason! Avoid the clearance bins. Stick to hot plays.
- TradingFish bats for singles but in the process will hit doubles triples & even homeruns/grand slams! But it all starts from a single base hit.
- Choosing the right stock makes trading so much easier. I never trade stocks that are red on the day unless I’m shorting (never fight trend).
- When trading I choose GREEN stocks that have a bullish trending chart. When the stock changes trend or turns red on the day get the eff out!
- I’m a small fish in a sea of sharks. So I never fight where the whales want to take the stock. Ride the trend wave and never fight the trend.
- It is OKAY to take losses. A small loss or break even is good! Remember, wannabe heroes often die. Never turn a small loss into a huge one!
- It’s very hard to make $1k but much easier to make $100. So TradingFish tries to pick trades wisely to gain $100 at a time. Patience is key.
- So TradingFish likes to just make many trades for smaller gains (bat for singles) vs trying to swing for fences & most likely striking out.
- If TradingFish can gain just $100 per HOUR trading (6 hour trading days) that means he will make $170k a year! $50/hr is $85k/hr! Goldfish!
- By holding a core position he won’t miss big moves. By scalping trading around that core he will gain from the smaller movements as well.
- TradingFish is agnostic thus he never uses the PRAYING method. Traders who pray must have broken a cardinal rule and so will be punished!
- I hated every minute of training, but I said “Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.”
- TradingFish 3 Day Rule: On 3rd straight days of green, stocks tend to drop. To be safe I reduce my position in partials each day beforehand.
- So day 1 should be largest position size then I reduce some on day 2 which cushions me to hold rest to day 3. Not all make it to day 3 beware.
- By selling partials on way up u will lock in PROFITS which will cushion you in case next day is a down day. When RED for day I sell all out.
- It is ALWAYS BETTER to cry about lost potential than actual real money losses. If you’re always crying about lost potential you’re WINNING!
- Nothing is worse than when you’re UP in a stock and let that turn into a loser. To avoid that you sell on way up in partials! Money in bank!
- Strong stocks tend to get stronger. Weak stocks will get weaker. AVOID clearance bin shopping for stocks. They’re cheap for a reason!
- The 3 day rule is what turned TradingFish into a GOLD fish! Study the charts of plays and you will see it. This is my million $ secret shhh.
- TradingFish became successful when treating trading like a JOB. With a job you don’t want to work for free. Need to PAY YOURSELF daily!
- TradingFish didn’t become a gold fish overnight. He spent years as a guppy building his bankroll. Slow & steady while learning. No shortcuts.
- if the trend is bullish and it dips you can buy/add to average UP. This is not fighting the trend. Trade with the overall trend.
- PRO TIP: if you buy 10k of a .20 stock and sell it at .21 that makes you $100 off just a $2k position. Do it another time you up a day’s pay.
- When scalping Trading Fish likes to buy on the bid and likes to sell on the offer. Patience is key you have many hours to pick that trade.
- If you are averaging UP means you are making money. NEVER average down! If stock goes under the price of any adds sell the add!
- AVOID trading midday unless you’re more advanced. It’s too risky and volume is bad. Just trade the first hour last hour of the trading day.
- A good simple technique is buy STRONG stocks 1/2 hour b4 close then sell 1/2 hour after the open. Stick to green rule & remember 3 day rule.
- When it goes red = red on the day. Red on the day is a huge danger sign. U should sell a little bit before it gets there. Once it red = dead.
- Green to red (green/red) is a huge trading indicator. When it hits red shorts attack and it WILL spike down hard!
- Red to green (red/green) is also a huge indicator as the stock was once weak (red) but now crossed into strong (green) territory.
- The Green to Red is much more reliable indicator. It usually tanks HARD once the stock turns red on the day. This is a MAIN signal to watch!
- TradingFish used Green2Red indicator when shorting. The great setups are the promos that been going up daily and is on day 3 or more!
- There are tons of diff ways to trade to make money you have to try some be it paper trading or real and see for yourself. Keep a log book.
- Trading is all about probability. I call pattern recognition. I recognize certain patterns that been profitable and those are ones I trade.
- Only way is to keep doing it until it becomes REFLEX. Do it over & over until it becomes habit and instinct. Like an elite sports athlete.
- Ok the upcoming tweet is literally the million dollar question : what is the BUY SIGNAL for the 3 day rule. It is break up of trend + volume.
- Search for a stock breaking out of a flat or downtrend. There is often a day 0 that insiders accumulate in silence before they break it out.
- Volume PRECEDES chart moves. Meaning spot the increase in the volume you will spot the upcoming movement.
- How to avoid manipulation by market makers and algos? By trading only plays with high vol. That’s why trading at open and close is best.
- when times of famine come, you go back to the BASICS. Take VERY small risks. Just scalp with tight stops to make a living & feed yourself.
- Right now i’m literally trying to make $100 scalps. No hubris here , no ego. It’s a job and i’m going to grind today and all days like this.
- There’s no secret to making $ trading. You have to work hard and put in your time. It’s all about experience. Whoever says otherwise SCAM!
- When the market closes doesn’t mean your learning ends. Pull up charts for the most active stocks and see how it moves through the day.
- If you’re nervous don’t worry TradingFISH is also nervous. BUT he relies on pure instinct and STOPS over thinking but just REACTS instead.
- That’s where practice comes in. You practice practice practice so when the time comes you can just react, Trading like a reflex!
- The BEST gappers are usually weekend gappers. Because the pumpers are out in force over the weekend hyping up the stock!
- Once the frenzy slows I can see if it held support for next leg or just a gap and crap which I am ready to just sell all my position.
- What locking in profits do is helps u hold the rest a bit longer since u REALIZED some of the gain. So now if the stock goes down u cushioned.
- How to handle a big gap up when you’re not in the stock: Scream Daaaang & DO NOTHING! DO NOT CHASE right @ the open.WAIT for stock to settle.
- Stock gaps up & I want to buy it I can: 1) wait for it to settle, dip to see where support is or 2) buy a little & get ready to sell QUICK.
- I say don’t chase cause many don’t have discipline to SELL QUICK once you’re down. But it’s ok to test waters & nibble to see how stock reacts.
- When chasing I actually risk but 1 tick. Cause if I’m not in the money immediately why hold on since I’m stupid to chase in 1st place!
- If the position I’m already in runs higher I have luxury of adding Averaging UP since I’m cushioned from a good core avg. BUT Never 4get to Sell!
- I hardly open new positions right @ open. Be patient wait 2 see how stock behaves & settles. If u miss a play it’s ok, there will be another!
- As much as the FISH likes 2be a gunslinger, his style is very Defensive. He likes 2 attack when odds are in his favor, always sticking to RULES.
- He will risk only a portion up to maybe half of the gains. NEVER turn a win into a loss cause of greed and ego. Book that win no matter what!
- Why book the gain always? Cause u can always REBUY if u sold too soon! Nothing wrong w / rebuying stronger stocks higher! I do it all the time.
- And that is the secret to trading: buying strong stocks on the bullish up trend. Don’t mess with it when trend changes. Study your charts!
- Like the FISH said before trading is all about pattern recognition. It’s all probability of something happening based on a specific event.
- Basically it’s I saw this chart setup before & last time it did this so I will trade it like this. If wrong cut losses quick. Nothing is 100%.
- Avoid the bottom picking game of a slow stock WALK DOWN. These are NOT simple bounce play. It’s very hard Rather wait for confirm of bounce.
- Techniques used for trading around a core etc works well during moves UP bullish trend. Walk downs bouncers much harder as bottoms r NOT set.
- I am a big short when the time is right. What I don’t do is pretend I do it to help others. I do it for personal GAIN $ & don’t cry to SEC.
- The only one who benefits from a super low price penny stock tanking are the market makers who can short and also bounce daytraders like me.
- KISS – KeepItSimpleStupid is how I am profitable daily. My BIGGEST losses are always when I think I know better or over think the obvious.
- Shorts & sells show up on T&S same exact way. You will never know one from the other nor should you even need to care! Stick to the RULEZ!
- Learn to be INVISIBLE and you will make more money. Learn to scale in and out so as not to be flagged by mm’s who WILL front run big orders.
- My biggest pet peeve is ignorance stemming from LAZINESS. Before asking a question, you should always try to find the answer yourself FIRST!
- I don’t need to be the hero w/the absolute lowest buy or top sell, I am happy lowering my risk by playing only the MEAT (middle) of the move.
- I always say “You only need to get rich ONCE”. So i never ever risk 100% on ANYTHING. When investing i always assume 100% loss just in case!
- People have diff trading strategies. I stopped being arrogant to think my way is best. Some invest, swing, or scalp. Do what works FOR YOU!
- Unfortunately it may take a HUGE loss or 2 or 10 b4 u realize what you’ve been doing is not working out. There’s No perfect system xcept HFT.
- U don’t need 2be an “expert” 2be successful at trading. Learn the ruleZ so u don’t have to repeat mistakes of an expert.
- 90/90/90 rule: 90% of ALL day traders lose 90% of their money 90% of the time! But u can gain an advantage if u keep discipline.
- Problem is during the crash when is the bottom? Many went BROKE guessing bottom. U only need to get rich ONCE So don’t take unnecessary risks.
- BUT what I DO KNOW is when to sell: I sell before others do, leaving money on the table. I rather cry about lost potential versus LOST MONEY.
- Trading is so simple yet INSANE: if ur making $ keep doing what ur doing. But if ur losing $, doing the same thing over will do what?
- It’s MUCH easier to play stocks on the way UP (bullish trend) than to try pick bottom & play bounces. If wrong ur a dead cat b4 bounce comes.
- EASIEST way to play a bounce is WAIT for stock to close GREEN on the day. Then you use the 3 day rules to trade out of the confirmed bounce.
- When does 3DayRule start? Starts when closing price of a stock flips from red2green or from green2red. So 1st day of red or 1st day of green.
- Summer trading is more temperamental in that you have to be QUICKER since volume is much less & not being disciplined gets you beat up!
- There’s concept of Day 0 never mentioned before. Day 0 is very special case harder to detect. Day 0 can be bounce day or silent accumulation.
- You have to adjust how you trade and be more patient. Summer is like fishing but the lake is full of gators ready to eat you alive if u fall.
- This rule supersedes ALL in any situation: ALWAYS CUT LOSSES! DO NOT average down a loser! ALWAYS cut your losses Live to fight another day!
- And always remember it is BETTER to MISS a play or to sell EARLY, missing out on potential gains than it is to CHASE and LOSE real money!
- Learn resistance & support. Good place to buy are at near support and to sell b4 resistance. If support falls SELL if resistance breaks BUY
- SECRET: They say buy low sell high That’s WRONG & BS! Fish says “buy high & sell HIGHER!” Chasing what u think 2b the low is how u get STUCK.
- When I started trading I listened to BS trading advice of CNBC. It’s WRONG! DO NOT average down! That’s how u go BROKE! Cut losses instead!
- Amazing how successful trading is counter intuitive: we want to buy things on sale which is WRONG for trading. Stocks r on sale for a reason!
- Always remember the best part of the trade is the MEAT! Sure we may buy higher & sell b4 the top, BUT we won’t stress & guess. EAT the MEAT!
- Remember you can sell in partials and lock in gains in pieces on the way up. And you can always rebuy it. Aka Trading Around A Core.
- How to trade pending events? “Buy on rumor, sell on news” is the best way to trade. Buy then sell on the ramp (for anticipated good news).
- Holding thru earnings is risky for daytrader (non long term investor) as it’s gambling. Best to wait 4news 2come out & trade the volatility.
- Trading is like fishing. Not all catches will be whoopers. You never know what is biting on the other end until you pull up the catch.
- Problem many have is NOT FOLDING (cutting losses). Then they hold pray for a 1 outter miracle on the river. Then end up folding at the bottom.
- Buy at support, sell at resistance. Best advice you can get is free thanks to @MRockTrades & @mrockrulez.
- Many people try to differentiate a “type” of play. They think they’re smarter than others. BS treat them all the same: STICK to the RULEz!
- Problem with trying to label a “type” of trade is your mind is already biased and set. What if you’re wrong & most likely you will be wrong!
- How many people go broke get hooked and break all rulez cause last play was a huge success. NOTE: That’s how crack drug dealers operate too!
- Trading can b super complex IF u allow it 2be. I try to KISS KeepItSimpleStupid. Lock in gains. Control greed & ego 2 major causes of losses.
- Greed kills a ton of people cause they get pissed cause stock keeps going after they sell. So on the next play they hold and stock tanks.
- Risk management is HUGE aspect of trading. Notice sizes I hold o/n. I’m riding house $$ and NEVER go all in. You only need to get rich once!
- Guys, trading is not about being “right”, it’s about making MONEY. I’m wrong on trades all day long but i cut losses QUICK & don’t fight trend.
- So many over analyze trades. Learn the KISS Keep It Simple principles at @mrockrulez I use only BASIC charting when I trade & my eyeballs.
- Getting comfy with trading does not come overnight. It requires practice and realizing all rules work TOGETHER not just singular by itself.
- Trading is all about pattern recognition, being able to recognize instantly the current situation and how to react & trade on it.
- Rules of the OTC Fight Club: 1) you don’t invest in OTC 2) you don’t invest in OTC 3) fight is over when investor goes limp and is broke.
- $400/day is $100k/year? Be patient and pick a few good trades cause It’s easy to make $100/trade, MUCH harder to make $1k/trade!
- When EVERYONE expects the SAME, singular result on a stock, chances are that stock will do the complete opposite!
- “Give a man a stock tip, and you feed him for a day; show him how to trade, and you feed him for a lifetime.” – Modern_Rock
- Money management, discipline, having no ego being able to sell quickly for a loss: keys for LONGEVITY. Slow & steady WINS the race!
- So much of trading success comes from confidence/mental strength/discipline. When u doubt & 2nd guess yourself is when u lose.
- NEVER EVER SHORT DAY 1 big movers/short squeezes (like $ACHN). Miss it or follow 3 day rule. Day 3 nears start to sniff a short is ok.
- The power of the Fish 3 day rule applies to long side as well as shorting. You can trade both sides: long day 1, reduce days 2-3, then short.
- I reiterate this 100x it never gets old: avoid swinging for the fence & striking out. Bat for singles & that’ll turn to dbls triples & HRs!
- Ive always told people every loss means that you have to MAKE UP that loss before you have a gain! That’s why keep your losses to a MINIMUM!
- In trading, a major strikeout can wipe away multiple home runs! Don’t let one strikeout ruin all your hard work!
- I barely traded this summer means I’m not making $$ BUT it also means I’m not losing either! Remember NEVER FORCE trades $0 better than losing
- Trading is all about pattern recognition & how to react to it w/high probability of success. So WAIT for your preferred setups!
- Swings are good, but i have Rulez that supersede all: 1) NEVER fight trend 2) cut losses quick 3) always take gains along the way/partials.
- Newbies: I cannot stress enuf the importance of charting. It’s more important than L2 when starting out. So LEARN the basics! Google it.
- Trying to cherry pick a bottom on Slow walk down weak stocks are how most lose their ass. I trade only parabolic TANKS not SLOW WALK DOWNS.
- When trading big boards, have SPY/ DJI / Naz charts up. The bounces are often in unison OTCBB is like the honey badger: doesn’t give a shit.
- Intraday i like to scalp channels. find out where the resistance is and support are. and that’s where you buy and sell between.
- I cannot stress enuf the importance of TIMING when trading. You may be BROKE by the time your guru calls are correct. Timing is EVERYTHING!
- One thing I learned is price action and charts do not lie as much as CEOs or your ego/pride do.
- Are you losing cause: -You chase and buy tops -You hold too long don’t sell -Don’t cut losses? -Buy illiquid stocks? -U avg down & lose.
- You need to go back to your trades and analyze the root of why you lose so you can avoid them in the future. And it takes time & experience.
- Another good tip is to go back to your WINNING trades and see what made them successful! Then repeat it! Avoid the pitfalls & stick to rulez.
- Trading is like a sport & the classroom can only take u so far. You need to practice practice & make it become a natural reflex.
- Reason u practice till it becomes a reflex is in battle u don’t have time to think. Trading is about REACTING based on scenarios.
- Like poker & chess: the more scenarios/situations u seen in the past, the more likely of success. Key is PATTERN RECOGNITION!
- So when a scenario/chart pattern comes that u don’t recognize, avoid it. Wait for a pattern to develop where u been successful in the past!
- How I deal with big losses or a losing streak: We all have losses, even me yes lol. And they come in STREAKS cause it’s MENTAL
- It takes one trade at a time, one day at a time. That’s how you become successful in the first place!
- When u can’t hit singles anymore when you did in the past, it means something is wrong w/your mental state. Also strategy changes over time.
- In sports, there are sports psychiatrists to help with your mental game. Trading is a huge mental game as well. Don’t trade when angry, etc.
- So that’s how I started my strategy of just making smaller obtainable goals and repeating them over and over. $50 profit a trade adds up!!
- One often overlooked rule: NEVER turn a PROFIT into a LOSS! How to prevent it: 1. sell some on the way up 2. see first rule.
- I’m a scalper, so i like patterns and the pattern i use a lot during the lull are Channel trades, boring trades between resistance & support.
- I make money in the morning then trade w/house $$ the rest of the day but always making sure i stop b4 i lose all my hard work $.
- Money Management is key to both trading as well as your life finances. It’s not how much you make, but how much you SAVE!
- I like to trade the MEAT of a stock move and leave the bones for others. Meat tastes good. Going for tops/bottoms gets u BONED!
- Trading Rules are like bones & sometimes will get broken. It’ll definitely hurt, but the bone will get stronger with each break.
- Weak stocks that are on sale are on sale for a reason. AVOID trying to chase and cherry pick bottoms else YOU will get spanked!
- Trading is all about TIMING! I need to remind myself have PATIENCE & wait for the setup to come to me. DON’T FORCE the setup!
“Give a man a stock tip, and you feed him for a day; show him how to trade, and you feed him for a lifetime.”
MOMO Traders- available on Amazon.